About Spero G Karas M.D.
Dr. Karas is an internationally recognized expert in the field of shoulder surgery, knee surgery, and sports medicine. Whether he’s treating professional players for the Atlanta Braves and Falcons or young athletes at local elementary schools, his goal is to to collaborate with patients of all ages in order to get them back to their desired activity level as quickly and safely as possible.
With over 25 years of illustrious academic and clinical experience, influential leadership in the field, and innovative research, there’s a reason he was named the “Most Trusted Sports Medicine Specialist in Atlanta.”
A former collegiate athlete himself, Dr. Karas was a varsity letterman in wrestling at the University of Notre Dame. He continues to participate in sports such as golf, skiing, snowboarding, and fitness training. He also coaches little league sports, and is an active member of his church and community.
Dr. Karas and his wife, Johanna, are blessed with three very active and beautiful children – Gus, Elena, and Nicholas.
Emory Sports Medicine Complex
Dr. Karas joined the Emory Sports Medicine Complex as Director of the Emory Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Fellowship Program in 2005, after serving as Chief of the Shoulder Service and team physician at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill.
Dr. Karas brings his expertise to a team of surgeons, nursing staff, and therapists at Emory Sports Medicine Complex who provide expert care in a comfortable, family-friendly environment. Dr. Karas thrives within the multidisciplinary team that comes together to work for a common goal. The team mentality reminds him of football (he definitely considers himself a football guy).
Dr. Karas’ patients at Emory Sports Medicine Complex have access to:
- Premium service with personalized patient care
- The most advanced sports injury treatment and procedures
- Physical, occupational, and speech therapists, physicians and rehabilitation specialists
- 28 exam rooms
- 2 radiology suites
- A 3 Tesla MRI scanner (the most high resolution MRI scanner in clinical use in the entire state of Georgia)
- Indoor and outdoor pools
- On-site blood/sweat testing and analysis for nutritional deficits
From 2011-2018, Dr. Karas served as the Head Team Physician for the NFL’s Atlanta Falcons. At the time of his transition, he was the longest tenured team orthopedic surgeon in the NFC South division.
As the Falcons orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Karas supervised a team of physicians that act as multiple layers of protection for the team and the coaches. For eight seasons, he watched every game from the 30-yard line, closely observing every moment, ready to act fast in case of injury.
Dr. Karas applies the same skilled sports medicine techniques he employed as the Falcons orthopedic surgeon to NFL players and non-professional athletes alike. “We don’t do it any differently in the NFL,” he says. “The priorities are always nutrition, recovery and sleep.”
In a statement, Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said:
“The Falcons would also like to thank Dr. Spero Karas for his outstanding service over the past eight seasons. We extend our greatest appreciation for the care, professionalism and dedication he has shown to our players, coaches and the entire organization.”
In 2017, Dr. Karas was brought on as a physician team member for the Atlanta Braves. As an Atlanta Braves surgeon, Dr. Karas is a part of the team that watches out for the team.
Dr. Karas is not only an Atlanta Braves surgeon, he is also a fan of his hometown team when he’s not working. But unfortunately, when the Braves are on the field, he is working. Ignoring the deafening crowds, the score, and the emotional triumphs in favor of his gametime mantra: “Stay detached. Stay clinical. Stay in the moment.”
Dr. Karas works with the Braves hours before each game, dedicated to the players’ preparation and safety before they even warm up. During games, he closely and clinically watches the players’ movements for potential injuries, dedicated and ready to spring into action if needed.
Dr. Karas’ personal approach to the management of shoulder, knee, and sports injuries is rooted in the desire to provide outstanding service to athletes of all levels: professional, collegiate, scholastic, and recreational.
Dr. Karas is a respected, internationally recognized leader in the field of sports medicine. His illustrious resume speaks for itself:
- Author of over 250 manuscripts, presentations, and instructional videos
- Countless lectures and presentations, both nationally and internationally, on his research
- Featured work on NBC television, Men’s Health Magazine, Ski Magazine, and numerous internet health services
- Assistant editor for the Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery
- Publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Reception of numerous grants for his research and work
- Collaboration with medical industries in the design of innovative orthopaedic devices and instruction throughout the world in their use
- Leadership positions in many professional societies
- Full member of the American Shoulder and Elbow Society (ASES), a prestigious “invitation only” society with rigorous selection criteria (one of only five members in the entire state of Georgia)
Dr. Karas has received multiple honors and recognitions in media, including:
- “The Most Trusted Sports Medicine Specialist in Atlanta” by Atlanta Magazine
- “America’s Top Sports Medicine Specialists” in Men’s Health Magazine
- “America’s Top Sports Medicine Doctors for Women” in Women’s Health Magazine
- “Best Orthopaedic Surgeons in America” in Castle Connolly
University of Notre Dame
Indiana University School of Medicine
Orthopedic Surgery at Duke University Medical Center
Knee, Shoulder, and Sports Medicine Fellowship at Steadman Hawkins Clinic